Wednesday, March 28, 2012

it isn't a pretty soul

my soul isn't pretty

it's littered with all those
should-have-saids and
would-have-dones
laid out like set-in stains on fabric
they won't wash away
with bleach
it's torn from loss
and scarred at the hands
of old lovers and friends
who found it necessary to ruin me
before they took their leave
it's blackened in spots from words
that carried judgment, disapproval

i tried to tell that part of me
to make up its mind to die
that there was no need for delay
but i don't think it ever intends on going
and i'm not sure i'd be whole
if it did

there is some good to it, though
or some hope of good
the last thing i want to do
is frighten you off
just thought you deserved fair warning
that i'm not perfect

it isn't a pretty soul
but i do hope you'll stay

01.2010

1 comment:

The Unknowngnome said...

I'll stay.

You say very well here what a truthful soul should say and I like very much how you say it.

I want to thank you here for your kind comment over at Poets United and for "following". Let's change that "following" to "walking with". :)

I'll be back to read more of your past pieces as time avails itself and I look forward to your future works.

Peace, Jersey girl from an old Jersey boy.

TUG